Friday, May 11, 2012

Khador Winterguard Conversion Painting

Worked on the Unit Leader for my Khador Winterguard Unit.  Did a lot of conversion work on them ranging from their gasmasks and tube to their cloaks which have been extended using epoxy putty.  Still going for the Wasteland look; gritty, dirty, menacing.  Fluff is that this army was on a long and perilous expedition into the Wastelands and now are trying to fight their way back home to the Motherland.

The above mini has most of the color in.  I will most likely start on the next batch of Winterguard and then go back to these original two and add the grime layer of weathering pigments.

The masking tape provides an interesting color juxtaposed with the mini.  Reminds me of snow.  Should I add snow to the base?  I was always sorta against it because usually we play on a green battle mat and I thought snow looked odd but hmmmmm~~

The one thing I wanted to mention was that when I was painting in thin layers; it revealed errors in my sculpting... the putty wasn't smoothed enough and you can tell where the putty was attached to the mini.  So when I work on the rest of the Winterguard I just have to be more careful.

But overall I'm pretty happy with the look of them.  I never thought I would try the red shoulderpads or the greenish tint to their coats but I think it works and looks very "Khador" to me.  One note is that I added a bit of Ogrun Flesh wash to warm up the coat to match the hot climate I think these guys are travelling in.

I also have plans for the Officer and Standard bearer.  I'm thinking to sculpt my own flag and make it a centerpiece for the unit along with some custom sculpting for the Officer.  I'll try to change her pose a bit.

Two down and fourteen more to go! :D (I'm including Joe in this unit and need to get one more rocketeer for the full Winterguard Deathstar)

No comments:

Post a Comment